…From the Editor
We extend you a “warm” welcome to our August issue! Packed with entertaining articles and puzzles of all stripes, this issue is perfect for filling those leisurely summer hours. So without further ado, here are some of the highlights.
Summertime means that kids of all ages are home from school. If yours are into video games, you’ve undoubtedly heard of the game sensation called Fortnite. But what is it all about? We’ve put together “A Rookie’s Guide to Fortnite” (page 40) by staff writer Gabrielle Fabioneri. Whether you’re a parent or just a grownup who’s curious about what the kids are up to these days, check it out.
If you’ve been following Andrew Parr’s “Moving Forward, Looking Back” series of articles, you know that this issue’s installment marks the grand finale. In the article, “Best. Year. Ever.” (page 34), Parr presents his top picks among GAMES features over the years. At the end of the article is the big reveal: his all-time favorite issue. What issue do you consider the best? You can let us know by joining the discussion on the Games Magazine Enthusiasts Facebook page at www.facebook.com/groups/gamesmag.
Speaking of the Games Magazine Enthusiasts, the members of that group have brought us a special treat: a fresh batch of Wacky Wordies. If you’ve missed this perennial favorite, two dozen new puzzles await you on pages 10 and 11. Wacky Wordies have been around for ages, and new ideas are tough to come up with. So kudos to the creative minds who managed to do just that.
Also in the Pencilwise section, we have a new set of Strimko puzzles from the Grabarchuk Family. These logic puzzles are based on the concept of Latin squares, which were written about by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 1780s. Fans of sudoku and other number logic puzzles are sure to enjoy Strimko. Also for logic lovers, Swords (page 29) and Paint by Pairs (page 54) will provide plenty of entertainment. For the word puzzle fans, we’ve got Patrick Berry’s Rows Garden (page 50) and Into the Breach (page 62), a challenging-but-not-overwhelming variety cryptic crossword by Bob Stigger.
Ready to get started? Hit the beach and crack open this issue!
IN THIS ISSUE
- Moving Forward, Looking Back: Best. Year. Ever.
- The series wraps up and the author reveals his all-time favorite GAMES issue
- Your Word Against Mine: The Vision of “St. Michael”
- Singapore’s Michael Tang launches Scrabble’s Alchemist Cup
- A Rookie’s Guide to Fortnite
- Learn about the video game that’s also a pop-culture phenomenon
- Change of Art
- Find the 10 differences between these illustrated scenes
- This Old Game: The American Dream Game
- Vintage games from the collector’s closet
- Wacky Wordies
- A brand-new batch of Wacky Wordies, brought to you by our readers
- Wild Cards
- A potpourri of amusing little puzzles for your solving pleasure
- What’s Happening
- Previews of upcoming events
- Contest: Role Playing 2019
- Contest Results: True Grid (from December)
- Electronic Game Reviews
- Tides of Time, Legends of Andor
- Board Game Reviews
- Unstable Unicorns, High Society
- Game On!
- Offbeat news, trivia, and more
- Art on the Square
- Feeling No E’s
- Into the Breach
- Paint by Pairs
- Too Cool for Words
- …and More!