…From the Editor
Welcome to the June issue of GAMES WORLD OF PUZZLES! As you may have guessed from the cover, you’ll find a special treat inside these pages: “Meet the Beatles,” a 13-page special section by puzzlemaker extraordinaire Adam Fromm, inspired by the 60th anniversary of the release of “Love Me Do,” the band’s first single. As we all know, the Beatles went on to become a worldwide sensation. This eclectic mix is based on the Fab Four’s discography; there’s one puzzle for each of eight of the band’s major albums. Each puzzle leads to a final answer; at the end, all of these answers will be entered into a metapuzzle, which will reveal a quote by John Lennon. The best part is that you don’t need any special Beatles knowledge to successfully complete this challenge (although it certainly won’t hurt). Turn to page 49 to get started!
Due to the length of the special section, you may notice that some of your favorite puzzles have been moved or are absent from this issue. Don’t worry: Just take a peek at the table of contents. If you don’t see a regular puzzle this month, please be assured that it will return in the August issue. Cryptic crossword fans take note: Although the two variety cryptics still appear on pages 62 and 63 as usual, the two standard cryptics have been omitted this month. To make up for that, August’s issue will have three standard cryptics: the ones on pages 60 and 61, plus the finale of Andrew Parr’s “Cryptic Classroom” series, which will be a puzzle created by the members of Facebook’s Games Magazine Enthusiasts group.
Also of note in this issue is Julie Harris’s feature article, “The Checkered History of Checkers” (page 34). In this piece, Harris dives into the ancient origins of the game and explains how it evolved into the popular pastime that we know today. When you’re done reading, turn to “Disney’s 50!” (page 40), a trivia quiz by Todd Kreisman about all things Disney. If puns and pop culture are more your thing, try Stu Agler’s “Punny Business” (page 42).
There’s truly something for everyone in this puzzle-packed issue, so pick up your pencil and start solving!
IN THIS ISSUE
- Meet the Beatles
- A puzzle series inspired by the Beatles’ most famous albums
- This puzzle puts a wordplay twist on the classic game of Monopoly
- The Checkered History of Checkers
- Learn about the origins of this popular game
- Cryptic Classroom #8: Combination Clues
- The eighth in a series of lessons for aspiring cryptic crossword solvers
- Disney’s 50!
- Punny Business
- Using wordplay, can you match each clue with the celebrity whose name it suggests?
- This Old Game: Organized Crime, and more
- Wild Cards
- A potpourri of amusing little puzzles for your solving pleasure
- Contest Results: Table Talk (from October)
- Electronic Game Reviews/dt>
- Airborne Kingdom, Samsara Room
- Tabletop Game Review
- Land vs Sea, The Rocketeer: Fate of the Future
- Boxing Match
- Code Crosswords
- …and More!