…From the Editor
We at GAMES WORLD OF PUZZLES have really gotten into the Halloween spirit for the October issue. First, as you can see from this issue’s cover, we’re presenting a “Halloween Double Feature,” starting on page 34. Horror film fan Raymond Simon has created a pair of fright flick-themed puzzles. Start with his trivia quiz called “The Horror! The Horror!” and find out just how familiar you are with some well-known macabre movies. Next, move on to “Creepy Quotes & Spooky Sayings” on page 36. After decoding 13 encrypted quotes, see if you can match each one to the movie from whence it came. It might be harder than you think!
Continuing with the horror theme, Simon also profiles Rue Morgue, a magazine based in Toronto, in his “Game On!” column on page 38. Rue Morgue bills itself as “the world’s leading horror in culture and entertainment brand” and, as such, would be a great resource for gamers looking for scary video games. (Or movie fans in search of recommendations, for that matter.)
Games from bygone days haunt this issue, too. Jonathan Schmalzbach, our vintage board game correspondent, channels the ghost of Groucho Marx while playing this month’s featured tabletop treasure. Elsewhere, Andy Parr exhumes a contest from the early days of GAMES. Perhaps it was best left buried… We’ll let you decide.
If pencil puzzles are more your thing, check out “BOO!” on pages 10 and 11. This visual puzzle, illustrated in the distinct style of artist Ron Barrett, is sure to challenge and entertain you. And for the kids (or young at heart), we have the “Trick or Treat Maze” on page 9. Admit it—our “Kid Stuff” puzzles appeal to all ages!
In fact, there are fun and spooky Halloween surprises throughout this issue! To get in the spirit, just pick up your pencil and dive in.
IN THIS ISSUE
- The Horror! The Horror!
- A terror-filled trivia quiz to test your knowledge of horror movies
- Creepy Quotes & Spooky Sayings
- Decrypt quotes from famous fright flicks and match ‛em to their movies
- Moving Forward, Looking Back: The $378,879.10 Contest That Wasn’t
- A 1983 contest from Atari promised great riches to winners. Did it deliver?
- A logical game of musical chairs
- This Old Game: Groucho TV Quiz
- Vintage games from the collector’s closet
- Your Word Against Mine: Scrabble Happenings, Puzzles, and Tips
- Try your hand at these Scrabble Squares puzzles
- Wild Cards
- A potpourri of amusing little puzzles for your solving pleasure
- What’s Happening
- Previews of upcoming events
- Contest: Coded Crisscross VIII
- Contest Results: Coded Crisscross VII (from February)
- Electronic Game Reviews
- Hardback, Moonlighter
- Board Game Reviews
- Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game
- Game On!
- Offbeat news, trivia, and more
- An Arm and a Leg
- Code Crosswords
- Far as the Eye Can “C”
- Pair Bonding
- Pencil Pointers
- …and More!